Seasons of Change

Kelsey - Milton, West Virginia
Themes: change

I believe in change. I believe that change can make you look at life in a different light. Its power can shape and mold you into a new work of art that can be unique to fit your own personality. I have dealt with the power of change, and I believe from my experience that the person I have become has resulted from that.

When I was 14, my parents moved me from our home in Indiana to a small town in West Virginia. My first thoughts were perceptibly negative, and I was angry with my parents. Mostly my father, you had taken a job in the mountain state. I felt betrayed and was skeptical about the new things to come. My sister that is 4 years older than I was aloud to stay in Indiana to pursue college dreams. I was insanely jealous that she got to be surrounded constantly by our family and I was isolated with nothing but my annoying little brother and the two people I was angry with the most. Oh and how could I forget those wonderful mountains of West Virginia?

I began my second semester in a huge high school of about 2,000 kids, and as any new student would feel I was petrified of the things to come, not to mention I was a freshman. I was a shy, timid, depressed 14 year old that did not want to be around anyone in the state of West Virginia. I had no intentions of making this place my “home.” And everyone knew that I was not happy nor would I let this change affect me. I was afraid of changing because I had assembled my life around Indiana.

As time went on I gradually saw myself changing. I felt like I had dealt with my own seasons of life. I began my life in West Virginia in the season of a cold harsh winter, I felt isolated and my heart was like a block of ice just waiting to dissolve. And as my life there went on, fall began to take place in my life and my hard shell was beginning to break, crack, and plummet beneath me as I saw that this change was making me a better person. My whole attitude towards life was altered. Spring began to blossom me into this new mature young adult that was ready to really see my true reflection. I began to see why my parents had moved us to this new territory. Our family was becoming closer each year. By the summer of my new transformed life I was free. I had grown so much, I went through many obstacles and I finally felt that my barrier had been broke. Changed had occurred in my life, and whether you believe change is immaterial, I know that for me, it brought out this new stimulating personality that is ready for any more change that comes my way.