Long-Distance Friendship

Jessica - Noblesville, Indiana

I believe in long-distance friendships. Long-distance friendships are something new to me. All of my friends are either in the same city or just thirty minutes away. But, now I have an awesome friend that lives in West Virginia. We have only been friends for about a year now, but I know our friendship is going to last forever.

It is crazy to think about all the people that have come into my life and then simply just fade away. Or how someone has been my best friend for years and then the friendship falls out. My best friend is my roommate. I don’t know how I would have survived my first year of college without her. We were complete strangers living in two different states but now we are best friends.

Living several hours apart is going to be tuff, but I know that we will be ok because we came into the situation blind folded and now we can see our friendship growing into the future. I have several friends back home, and none of them compare to my roommate. She is fun, carefree, and is always there for me. The first day that I met her it was nerveracking, we barely talked the first night, but as the nights went on we become dependant on each other. We have supported each other through thick and thin. We have laughed and cried together, we can stay up all hours of the night and talk about anything and everything.

I do not know what I am going to do next year without her. This journey called life is full of surprising and exhilarating turns. I have definitely had my bumpy times while at college, because it is my first year away from home and I am no longer just thirty minutes down the road, but I am four hours away. It gets hard at times because I miss my family a great deal, but with my roommate being here, it has helped tremendously.

Next year is going to be nerve racking because I have to meet a new set of roommates because mine has decided to move back to West Virginia. I do not blame her at all because if I was more than four hours away from my family then I would go insane and probably want to move back home too. Our friendship will succeed though. My roommate and I just came to college to try and further our education and maybe meet new people, but in the mist of it all we became best friends. I will miss her but I know that we will stay friends forever, because even though we are not going to be in the same state, and I cannot see her everyday, I know we will stay good friends. Having this new person in my life is everlasting, and I know that we will stay friends forever. A friendship like ours is like steal, it will be hard to break.