The Ring of Promises

Amanda - Virginia Beach, Virginia

My ring rests on my finger with so many promises kept within. Chris promised me that we would get married someday. He promised to love me no matter what happened. He even promised me that we would wait to have sex until we are married. Many relationships in the world today start with sex. When sex comes between people, one can never know what it is based on. Would anyone jump into a pool not knowing the temperature of the water? I have waited for that moment my whole life and I want it to be special.

In the same way, waiting to have sex until one is married is like waiting for chocolate chip cookies to bake. In both situations, people are waiting for the right moment. They want to wait until the cookies are completely cooked on the inside before eating them. Would anyone eat a half-baked cookie? Then, when the chocolaty goodness is finally finished, they know it was worth the wait. Just like baking cookies, I want to wait until the moment is right.

An equally important promise that will always be true is the communication factor. For instance, Chris and I talk to each other throughout the day, even if we just say, I Love You. We text each other on our cell phones to no end. When a relationship involves sex, feelings get hurt because sex makes people become attached to one another. People should get to know their other half’s personality before they even consider sex because they may find out they are only attracted to this person physically. I think a mental attraction is just as important.

Likewise, a spiritual connection is just as significant. As a Christian, I do not believe in sex before marriage. I go to church on a weekly basis and study the Bible. I feel the Bible is a guide that shows me how to live my life. I was saved when I was fourteen and ever since then promised to devote my life to God. I value my virginity very much because I know there is one right person for everyone. To illustrate, when Chris and I first met, we talked about our values right off the bat. I came to find out that he shared the same beliefs as me and our relationship bloomed from that moment on. Sex is an experience people should want to share with one person because people always remember their first time and that should be special.

Chris and I have now been together for three and a half years and still have not had sex. We base our relationship on communication, honesty, trust, and respect. We have decided to wait because our wedding vows will unite us as one. Then we can give ourselves to each other completely. My promise ring carries all the promises in the world that future husband will one day fulfill.