Everything happens for a reason

Zach - Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Themes: purpose, question

Why are we the person that we are? If our parents would not have met, who or what would we be? If America was never discovered where would we live? The question does not cross people’s minds on a daily basis.

I believe everything happens for a reason. Sometimes when we go to cities with a larger population, we see homeless people on the street and possibly feel sorry for them. They are there because of what they did or what they do. They might have had something extremely unfortunate happen to them. They could be just lazy, or not courageous. Maybe when they were young they didn’t put much effort in school, and dropped out. If they are in need of money why don’t they get up and do whatever they possibly can?

Small everyday experiences can become life changing. For example, maybe you purchase a lottery ticket a few times a month and figure you probably don’t have a chance at winning. If you would happen to win your life would be changed instantly. What if someone would happen to be in a serious car accident. It could have been avoided somehow. Maybe they answered their phone and lost control. If they wouldn’t have answered the phone the accident might have been avoided. Maybe you thought something was going to be extremely boring, but it turns out you met your best friend for the first time. Sometimes it’s the other way around. Maybe you wanted to go somewhere, and something bad happened that ruined your life.

What if your ancestors from hundreds of years ago never came to America. We could be living in Europe or wherever we came from. We wouldn’t have met any of the people we know today. We never think of it. When someone asks us why did this or that happen we usually have an answer because there is a reason for it. My little brother asked me once why our grandpa died. I said because he had lung cancer. He asked me why he had lung cancer. I said because he smoked. He asked me why did he smoke. I said because some kids got him into it during high school.

There is a reason why this all happened. We may never know or will know if something is going to happen or why it happened. In history we know what happened, but we might not be able to find out exactly why it happened. There might be a hidden reason that we would have had to be there to understand. Nothing can happen because it just happened. There has to be a reason why it happened.