This I Believe in the Sisterhood

Molly - Evansville, Indiana
Themes: family, gratitude

I believe in the Sisterhood. I believe that sisters should love and support each other. When I was born, I was welcomed by my older sister Kristen. She is eight years older than me so she loved to “mother me.” I became Kristen’s new baby doll. She enjoyed helping Mom shop for adorable outfits, and then loved to dress me. She was proud of me in my frilly dresses. Kristen enjoyed playing with me, and sometimes hopped into the tub with me and rubber ducky!

I also adored my big sis. I was anxious for Kristen to come home from school and play with me. She gave me hugs, and I gave her slobbery kisses.

Kristen and I continued to have fun being together at least in the privacy of our home. Something happened as my sister got a little older. I no longer was her main attraction but a baby doll that she liked to put away on the shelf when her friends were around. She and her girlfriends were nice and they spoiled me, but I was beginning to feel left out of the excitement.

Two years after I was born, my brother was welcomed into our growing family. As Kristen got older, I spent more and more time with my brother. She seemed to be jealous when I no longer needed her by my side.

As I began to grow up, Kristen again took an interest in me. She loved to French braid my long, red hair. Kristen pulled my hair so tight I wanted to scream at her, but I knew it would look great when she was finished. My sister taught me how to put on make-up, and pick out cool clothes. I was so happy our relationship was beginning to bloom. It made me feel good to know that Kristen cared for me again.

Kristen got married to Nathan when I was thirteen years old. I was now a teenager and she was a married woman. I was chosen to be a bridesmaid in her wedding. I felt thrilled that she wanted me to be a special part of her wedding day. It was a beautiful day that I will remember forever! I even caught the bridal bouquet.

Kristen and I again depended on each other when her husband was shipped out to Iraq during the first year of her marriage. We again shared the same bedroom when she moved back into our home. Hanging out with me helped her relax, and I saw her develop strength.

Last summer, my entire family enjoyed a Hawaiian Luau at Disney World. Kristen and Nathan were celebrating their Anniversary, but she seemed embarrassed when couples with celebrations were invited on the dance floor. I encouraged her to have fun. I realized how each of us can influence one another.

It felt great to help my sister. Kristen and I appreciate each other for who we are today, and who we will become in the future.