Choices

Katelynn - New Franken, Wisconsin

Is the right thing to do, always the right thing to do? Have you ever had to break a promise in order to do the right thing? Well, what do you do when breaking a promise to do the right thing, could turn out completely wrong. I know it sounds confusing, but it has just recently happened to me.

I made a promise to my best friend before even hearing what he had to say, and when he told me his life threatening story, I really regretted telling him I promised I wouldn’t tell anyone. I had a really difficult choice to make, whether to do what seemed like the right thing and tell someone, or keep my promise, and keep it secret. Plus I’m the kind of person that tries never to break promises. And then it got me to thinking, is doing the right thing, always the smart thing to do? Because, when you think about it, you have to look at it from all different prospective. Because there are instances where, if you were to keep quiet about something and the other person refuses to get help themselves, but you go and tell someone, it could possibly make things worse in certain situations.

What I’m trying to get at is that, I don’t think that in every situation, doing what people consider the right thing is always the better choice. That no matter what you do, things can go wrong in some kind of way. But we all make mistakes and the best thing we can do is listen to our heart and roll with it. And when things go bad, don’t get upset about it, because everyone makes mistakes and they can make us better people because we learn from them and the next time the chance comes to us to make another choice, we know to look at it from all different sides, and do what we think is best. And if it’s meant to, things will turn out good. We can’t always have control over what happens. The best thing we can do is, live our life the best way possible, by living in the moment, not in the past.