Live Patiently After College, Live Patiently Period

Beauq - San Diego, California

I believe that patience in one’s life plan can have very beneficial outcomes. With college coming to a close, the most frequent question I receive from family and friends if “So what is next?” They want to hear about my non-existent plans to start a new job or which graduate school I plan on not attending. The truth that I am not planning on doing either of these seems to be more disconcerting to other people than myself. I have some general ideas and plans, such as trying a career as a writer, travelling for six months and applying to law school, but they are ideas far from written in stone.

I believe that too often college students like myself are rushed into that next step of continuing to study or beginning to work. I personally seek comfort into gradually easing into something rather than rushing into a career or tying myself down to more studies. This is especially true when that activity could be something I am not sure I would like give my body and soul to for years or even months.

In recent years, I have tried my hand at a forty an hour workweek job, with no desire to hop right into one again. I also see the benefits in letting my tiresome brain rest after 16 years of studying straight. In my life outlook, there is something to be said for a vegetation period of travel or milling around from place to place to ease myself into the next stage of life. These months can be beneficial for removing myself from the situation of studying or a career and taking an outside prospective on what it is I might want with my life.

Growing up I have been raised a dual lifestyle of hard work met with relaxation, and after pushing myself through the stages of hard work, I am ready for the relaxation. I feel that gaining a better perspective can on the situation can only come from removing myself from the situation of work and study. In the next few years I don’t know where I will end up or what I will be doing, but I believe that right now it will help me more than it will hurt me.