I Believe Everything Happens For A Reason

Jenna - Iowa City, Iowa

I Believe…

I believe that all things happen for a reason. When my little brother turned three we all noticed that he was not like most children his age. He was anti-social with the people at his daycare and began a bunch of weird habits; he watched certain movie clips repeatedly, covered one ear when we would listen to the radio, and flapped his hands when he was excited. Although his actions were full of life, his eyes looked empty when we would talk to him. It was like he wasn’t there or didn’t understand a word we were saying. I caught on very early that my brother was different. I was six when Dr. Beeghly announced to my parents that my brother had a serious case of autism that only affected %.002 of the world’s population. When my parents explained what autism was to me, and why Jordan acted the way that he did, I remember being angry with God. I remember asking why my brother? What did he do? Could he ever have a chance at a “normal” life just like everyone else?

My Mom had me join a group called Sibship. This was a group in which each member had something in common; they too had at least one sibling that suffered from autism. Most of my questions were answered there and I began to accept my brother’s condition. It was when I had to defend him from kids mading fun of him on the playground that I would be pulled back into questioning why God made him the way that he did. For years I felt embarrassed of him; a normal reaction of a self-centered teenager. All I could think of was, “What would my friends think of me when they met Jordan?” There was a period of time when I actually wished that there was a way that I could change him.

Years past and I came to realize what a happy person Jordan is all of the time, a quality everyone wants to have. How loved he is by everyone, and how he loves. I believe that God made him my brother for a reason, and I am glad that he did. God knew that my family and I would love him no matter what. Although he may not know it, he has had the biggest impact on my life. If you were to ask me today if I could change anything about him…I wouldn’t change a thing. I believe all things happen for a reason.