The Good Samaritan

vincent - san diego, California

The Good Samaritan

I believe that helping others through acts of kindness is the greatest way to change the world for the better. I feel that by going out of my way and some of my time to give a gift of service to another person in need that I will pass on a perpetuating kindness that will be returned to me when ten folds in my time of need.

I was a senior in my last week of high school without a care in the world. As I was driving to school, the truck in front of me ran the red light and crashed into a car in the intersection. I pulled over to assist the driver of the car as he struggled to help his wife and child inside. Besides being shaken up by the crash they were all without injury. The driver of the truck came over to check the damage he had done. As they exchanged information, I spoke with the driver’s wife and child to comfort them about the situation. The driver of the truck then left as his vehicle was still operable, but as the family called for a tow truck they were still unsure of how they would get home. I offered myself to drive them home. I felt good for what I had done even though it took time and effort from my day.

After graduation I was driving home late on a rainy night. I maneuvered to avoid hitting something in the road and crashed my car into the side of the road. I was fine but my cell phone was dead and I didn’t know how to get a hold of help. As I waited stranded, a car stopped and the driver came to ask if they could help. I called my parents from their phone because I knew they would rush to help me. Without the help of that person I dint know what I would have done.

At any point I could have decided that helping that family after the crash wasn’t my responsibility but so could the driver that helped me. By taking the time to help I had made a difference for someone in the world. And that difference came back to benefit me when I needed it.