Flying Under the Family Radar

Adrian - San Diego, California

For twenty-two years of my life, I’ve been known as the chubby and quiet kid out of my family. A family of around twenty-five people who in my opinion has had some type of successful story to share. What is the result of me being quiet around my family most of the time and not my friends?

Being the second youngest out of all my cousins I really believe that success goes along with a lot of pride throughout the family. And that’s why I believe I’m quiet most of the time. From the vice principle at such a young age, Harvard graduate, serving the military, where do I stand? “Oh you know just school and work” is usually my response. It’s usually nothing really exciting to grapple any of my relatives’ attention in awe.

Don’t get me wrong, I really do want my family to succeed and I want to part of that too. I just choose not to be outspoken when success comes towards me and let my experience and actions do the talking, not seeking any recognition whatsoever. I can say I’m more of a reserved type of person (a little aggressive at times) but helping others important to me first and that helps myself along the way also.

I follow the philosophy of “If you are willing to help others around you without helping yourself first, then everything will go wrong around you.” I wish I’d known that a long time ago but I’m still learning to this day. With my friends, I feel very comfortable acting as myself and letting loose on what comes our way. There’s no pride, we’re on the same page but yet, success is on our minds also.

However, with family parties/get-together it’s a complete opposite for me. I have countless scenarios where I just don’t really express myself to the fullest because I’ve never really got out of my quiet ‘bubble.’ However I do believe interaction is a mirror effect. A low toned, boring interaction will result the same way as it started and a cheery opening will have the same result.

With my family now, I’ll still fly under the radar of helping them out and others, but in a prideful manner even if I haven’t reached success yet. It’s all about setting the tone for me and how I go about. I’m tired of going to bed after a family party disappointed at myself to show that I don’t have to be successful yet to feel my own content towards others.

I realize I don’t need success or a heart warming story to get the attentions of others. Success takes good work ethic, and I’m on the path of achieving it; bringing my family and friends along with me.