Accomplishing The Tasks of Life

Bryan - San Diego, California

I believe that in life, perseverance is the key to success and true happiness. I believe in the saying that, “winners never quit and quitters never win.” Basically, one of my major core life values is that any task you chose to take on or any responsibilities that fall upon you whether it was your choice or not, you need to face them and complete them to the best of your ability. The main reason why I feel strongly about this belief stems from an experience I had early on in my childhood. Also, this belief was reinforced as years passed and I experienced more of life’s events.

When I was 3 years of age, I experienced my dad walk out of my life. I’m at a stage in my life that I don’t expect to have any relationship with him nor do I feel that I need a father figure anymore. I still vividly remember the day he left, from when I was sitting in bed watching him pack to the last moment when he put me down at the door and got into a car. His departure from my life motivated me to make a promise to myself to face all of the challenges that life may bring .

On a more positive side, I was raised by a single parent (my mother) and she has always been there for support. As I grew up I noticed how hard she worked to support the both of us and she always stressed to me that to get ahead in life you need to finish what you start and stay on top of your responsibilities. Her words and actions helped strengthened the promise I made to myself. In my own life, I honestly can’t tell you of any situation I was in that I just decided to give up on. When I feel that life is getting too difficult I remind myself of the promise I made regarding my life.

A good example would be when I seriously thought about dropping out of school and trying to get a job and just work my way up the ladder. I reevaluated my situation, assessed my reasons for investing in school, and remained focused on my goal to finish school. Currently, I hold a degree in Computer networking and I am now pursuing another degree in Information Systems, while holding a job in the information technology industry. To me, perseverance is the key to success and happiness and I plan to carry on this belief as I journey more into my life.