Big Families Arn’t All Bad

Johnathan - Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I, unlike some people, look at the bright side of having a large family. Having a big family means that there are less chores that you have to do. Also in a big family there is a less chance of being bored. You have more people to talk to or hang out with. Now don’t get me wrong, there are downsides: like when everyone is having a bad day, there’s no place you can go where it isn’t noisy. But remember, I look at the positive sides.

There is no way that you can consider my family rich dealing with money. Money is not a part of our life. But, you know what? We are rich, richer than most people. How you ask. I have one of the biggest families I know and I’m rich with love. We all have our bad days, but we still drown each other in love.

Everybody asks, “How can you stand living in such a small house with so many people?” or “How do you guys make a living?” Well, all I have to say is I deal with it or my dad figures out a way. People always give me a hard time about my parents having so many kids and it starts to bug me, but that doesn’t make me hate my big family.

Another good thing about having big families is you’re the only one on the block or in town that has a twelve passenger vehicle.

There are times, though, when I really wish we could add on and I could maybe only share my room with one of my brothers instead of all of them. I never wish for my own room because I know that will never happen. Besides, hoping and wishing for something that you know will never happen just gets you down.

Having a big family means more yelling and more fighting, but I deal with it because I like to think that those fights are just bringing my big family closer together. I’m glad I have a big family, because I have more people to talk my troubles out with. So if you’re one of those lucky ones out there who have a big family and don’t like it because people give you a hard time about it; think of the good sides of having a big family and hopefully you will think differently about big families.