You don’t know what you have ’til it’s gone

Christine - Casco, Wisconsin
Themes: family, hope, setbacks

I believe that people take things for granted, such as life. People don’t realize what they had until they lost it, such as when people die. Some think of all the good times they had with the person and how fun he/she was, but others ask why, why did he/she have to pass?

One night when I was thirteen my mom came into my room. She was just leaving for work and she came to wake me up so I wouldn’t be late for school. When she came in she was all dressed up and looked sad. Then she told me she went for her yearly check up to the doctor, and they found some cells in her body that could be cancerous. I was still just waking up so I didn’t really know what was going on, then she walked out of the room in tears. I never really witnessed my mom cry except when her and my dad were getting a divorce, but never like this. All day at school I was in shock and just wanted to go home and figure everything out. When I returned home I waited patiently for my mom to get there she should arrive soon I told myself. When she got home I asked her what was going on and what happened at the doctor. She just burst into tears and started telling me how they found active cancer cells in her body. After this, my family came closer together after this and we started thinking about what would happen if any of us weren’t here. We started caring more and realizing we can’t live without her. This is when we started not taking anything for granted.

After my moms surgery we were short on money because my mom couldn’t work and our health insurance wasn’t paying for all of her medical bills and my dad doesn’t live with us. So my mom’s boyfriend started helping us pay for our bills and helped us out buying things we needed, like food and clothes. I am so grateful for that and for still having my mom with me today. This is when I realized you don’t know what you have until it’s gone.