Everyone Has Their Own Story

Alex - Casco, Wisconsin

Everyone Has Their Own Story

When I was a young boy, I had an opinion on everything. Clothes, hair, cars, shoes, and even people. I wasn’t snobby about it or made a big deal of it, but I just told it like I thought it was. Maybe I was a little judgmental, but when you’re about ten years old that just how you are. At that time I guess I hadn’t learned “Don’t judge a book by its cover.” I was just a child with a mind that thought about things way to hard. I finally realized one evening in the city of Chicago, as I was touring with my mom and dad, and my grandparents, that my opinion didn’t matter in certain cases and sometimes made me feel sorry for people or even made me jealous of them.

On the street corner in this huge city was a man. A human being sitting on the corner with ragged clothes, beat up shoes, no possessions, and a tough, battered and weathered face. I felt sorry for this man. After all he was alone, broken, and dirty. I looked up my dad and asked him why he didn’t just get a job or turn his life around. At that moment I learned a valuable lesson when it comes to people. My dad looked down at me and said, “Everyone has their own story”. I was a little confused and couldn’t help but ask what that meant. My dad explained that the man on the corner and everybody everywhere has been through difficult times or has lived differently than all rest. He has his own story, and people just haven’t heard it to thoroughly under him, especially a naive ten year old touring Chicago.

After I had that talk and time with my dad, I honestly don’t think I have ever judged another person. After all its just another life trying to survive and fit in, in a society that has been brought up to trust its human instincts and do things like a judge a person before they actually realize what the person has been through, and has had to deal with just to make it by.

After I think about it, when I look out my car window and see people, I do think what most people would about that person, but not in a judging way. I then think about what they could actually be. Maybe a millionaire who just wants to fit in and be like everybody else and doesn’t care he has more money than the next person, or maybe it’s a needy person who has a great life even though they don’t have much. Because when it comes down to it, it doesn’t matter what other people think or believe about you, what matters is you know who you are. The main thing is since you want other people to think good thoughts about you, you need to know the others person story before you can judge them.