Smile, you will lead a happier life

David - San Diego, California

I believe that when I force a smile on my face, I am ultimately happier. Before I realized this, I was a very unhappy and bitter person. I had nothing to be unhappy or bitter about; I think I just always saw the flaws in my fellow human beings.

I’m not positive when this all changed; but I do know that it came around the time I purchased an MP3 player and started listening to reggae music. The constant music while walking around San Diego State University truly did force a smile on my face, which ultimately made me forget about other people’s flaws, thus leading to happier days.

Recently, this belief became very much apparent in my life. It was another beautiful day in San Diego and I was hanging out with some friends at the beach. We were having a great time together and decided to take a bike ride. About five minutes into this leisurely ride, I jumped off the curb and in the process my front tire came off and I went over the handlebars of the bike. This happened extremely sudden, and I was completely caught off guard, and was lucky enough to land on my two front teeth.

At the time of this incident, I did not understand how lucky I actually was, but later I realized I was not wearing a helmet and could have easily hurt my head much worse. My teeth were not completely gone, in fact only a fraction was gone. The good news about this was that the dentist could easily fix my teeth, but had to wait about three weeks for a few cuts around my mouth to heal.

At the beginning of the three weeks of waiting I felt very self-conscious about how I looked and tried to hide my teeth as much as possible. Understandably, during this time I was not smiling all that often, which really did not help my mood. I tried to do the smile without showing my teeth, but that just didn’t cut it, I felt incredibly awkward.

About a week after the accident happened I began to realize that my lack of teeth put a smile of my friends faces, so I began showing off my teeth. I noticed that when I smiled at random people they would be more likely to notice this and smile back. So once again I began smiling all the time, which led to a much happier life.

Once I got my teeth fixed you can believe that I had a huge smile across my face at all times. So remember, force a smile onto you face, and I promise that you will live a happier life.