Why Judge

Jordan - Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Why Judge

I strongly believe that a person should be able to make a decision or choice without always being criticized or judged by people. I have personally been a victim of being judged for the choices I made. No one realizes the damage that they are afflicting or bringing upon the person who supposedly “made the wrong decision.” One individual could possibly become depressed, as a result, or even consider doing some pretty unimaginable things.

The most recent evidence of judging towards me was just over the course of this past year. I had just started wrestling and decided that I needed to lose some weight. I started running and eating healthier foods. At the beginning of my weight loss schedule I lost ten pounds, then it increased to twenty, then to thirty, then finally at forty-five pounds. I felt great about myself. I told everyone that I wasn’t healthy at my overweight stage, so I had to change my ways. Some friends began to criticize me and my eating habits, but even worse my family started to tell me that my loss of weight was unhealthy for me, as well. I started to think that they were all enemies. Thank goodness we talked through this and confirmed that I was healthy at my current weight and my decision to lose weight was good for me. Ultimately, if we didn’t communicate that it was out of their concern for judging my decision, the outcome of our relationship could be very different.

Another time that I was judged was about three years ago. In the middle of summer, I needed a haircut. I decided to get a fairly short haircut because of the heat of the sun. Shortly after my decision, I called my uncle over and he quickly gave me a buzz cut. Some thought that I looked like a fruit cake with short hair. I was picked on and made fun of by family and even friends. I couldn’t go anywhere without being examined or having something said to me about why I had such a short haircut. I don’t understand why some people have to make such a big deal about the length of my hair and not just support me for the decision that I made. Sadly, that incident made me feel insecure and frustrated with my decision-making abilities.

Finally, I can’t honestly comprehend the reason why people have to always get into someone else’s business for no reason at all. Generally speaking, when a person chooses a religion that he/she wants to worship, a new trend of clothes, or even a new way of living, they should be able to live in peace, without being judged. Instead, there are judgmental people who feel the need to bud in and contradict what that person’s choice was. Making that individual second guess their decision and possibly altering their ways of thinking.

Now just remember the next time someone makes a decision, not to judge them, but to support them because it’s their decision and they are the ones that need to live with that choice.