The Power of Trust

Katrina - Merrill, Wisconsin

The Power of Trust

With wide, questioning eyes, and gritted teeth the miniature cowgirl slowly lifted her lingering hands from the sturdy, saddle horn. No small feat for some, trust is a vital ingredient in every day life.

Trust means so many different things to me. From hope, beliefs, and that sheer gut wrenching feeling when your fate is up to someone else; trust never falls under one concrete definition. Trust can be easily squashed, trampled, tossed around, and just plain hopeless, but it is truly amazing to see your trust in others fulfilled and reflected back in your own life.

Some may say, “I can only depend on myself¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬…no one else can be trusted.” This statement is silly because it is impossible to have a healthy relationship with friends, family, co-workers, and any other human being without trust. It is the intangible component in society which can make or break someone. Without it we would lose that bond that unites others when putting trust in them to either keep a secret, make the big business deal, or even to unconditionally love you for who you are. With trust however, the sky is the limit.

With good intentions, trust is something modern day society could thrive on. We live in the time where hot cups of coffee or greasy fast food are grounds for lawsuits. People are not afraid to turn their backs on best friends for a quick suing which violates many core beliefs. By investing trust in others to make positive impacts, they can then start a chain reaction of good deeds that are boosted by trust. This could be as simple as allowing someone a big part in a school project when no one ever allowed them to contribute before and helping them along the way. When that person sees what they have accomplished and how you gave them the chance to achieve it, their positive attitude will be passed on to others along with the trust factor.

There is nothing like witnessing true trust like that found in the eyes of a child. Horses are my passion in life and by giving riding lessons I am able to pass that love on to others. I still remember the day I met Hannah. She was very petite for her young age of six, and her little legs could barely grip around the plump girth of the lesson pony. Despite her small stature, her spitfire personality and never tiring metabolism are what encouraged her exhausted mother to introduce her to the horse world. While leading her around and secretly hiding riding fundamentals into a game of simon says, Hannah showed me the bare truth of trust. The second the words, “Simon says put your arms out like an airplane” came out of my mouth her tiny figure seemed to cling for life to the saddle horn. After some encouraging words and reassurance that I would not let her fall, Hannah set her chin determinedly, and raised her arms with a tentative giggle. Words can not describe the look we shared after that moment when she realized what she had done and how I had kept my promise. This fateful day in a dusty horse arena is a prime example why I believe in the power of trust.