Richard - San Diego, California

I believe that my immediate and extended families are the infrastructure to my continued success and accomplishments.

In the past 20 years of my life I’ve met and befriended countless people. They have always been there for me through all of the good times, but have seemed to slip and fade away throughout the years. Although I’ve cycled through so many would-be friends, as I look back I’ve had something that still proves to be irreplaceable. My family has been by my side through thick and thin.

My family is like the sun as it gives so much to me without expecting anything in return. They provide me with unconditional love, understanding, advice, encouragement, security, safety, and endless support. Although this relationship is a two way road it does not always have to be met half way. I may not be able to give back to specific family members as they did for me, but I will do everything I can to make sure everyone in my family knows I am always here for them. This allows me to be a part of something that is better than myself; my family.

I don’t know if I should credit my mostly Hispanic heritage to the unexplainable bond that holds our large family so close, but the unconditional love that it provides me seems to be rare these days. I could literally meet a new family member for the first time and feel like I have shared the same love with them as I do for my mother. At a much lesser level the connection is like the respect one shares for a fellow religious follower or secret society member. I make this connection because there is a certain level of understanding and respect that people have for each other when they share common ideals or values.

I can only best describe the connection between my family as being one that encompasses all aspects that most people strive for in life through friendship, religion, and love. The thing that amazes me is that as I struggle through my journey in life I can always find those three aspects of support and understanding in any one of my family members.