The Challenge of Persistence

Ryan - Spring Valley, California

I believe in persistence, but my belief comes with the sacrifice of hanging out with friends, free time, and enjoyment to graduate from college and achieve my many goals in life.

It’s hard to maintain persistence. It’s easy for me to watch tv, party with friends, and relax instead of pushing myself to the limits and never giving up on my goals. All the sleepless nights and concentration make persistence so tough. Because San Diego is considered one of the finest cities in the world with it’s beautiful beaches and almost always sunny weather, can you wonder why it’s so hard for me to maintain my persistence through all the distractions and complete my school work and fulfill my many goals in life.

Persistence has changed my life in many ways because it has brought new meaning to it. This is so because I never knew I could be smart, good looking, and popular. I was told in High School I could never be smart by one of my teachers, but last fall at Cuyamaca College I earned a 4.0 GPA. Persistence helped me achieve this and it can help me achieve anything that I want in life no matter what anyone says.

The sacrifice of persistence is hard because of all the friends that I could be hanging out with instead of repeatedly pushing myself at whatever I do. I put myself through this because I believe the more I work toward my goal with fewer distractions like parties and drinking the closer I will get to achieve my goals. Also, It’s tough to maintain persistence because my mom and dad put a lot of pressure on me by asking, ”Why don’t you go out with your friends more often.” Or, “Don’t you get bored of studying all the time.” I reply by saying that I have to finish my work and stay away from distractions to achieve my goals in life. Don’t get me wrong I do hang out with friends, but majority of the day I maintain persistence to what I feel is most important in life. I believe that if I do this I will achieve all the goals that I set for myself like graduating from school, getting a high paying job, and buying a house one day.

I might not always succeed at whatever I try the first time, but if I have persistence and never give up then I believe I can achieve my goals no matter what anyone else says or whatever happens to me in life.