A Promise To Never Break

Alexander - Ramona, California

I believe in promises kept.

There was a time in my life where the term “promise” meant absolutely nothing. It wasn’t until I was a little older that I realized how important this concept was in my life.

I was in my senior year in high school and was having an absolute blast. I had several friends, was having a great year in baseball and was extremely excited to start college. Things seemed to be well in order in my life. For one of my long time friends however, it was almost the opposite. He had not gotten into the college he had hoped, plus his longtime high school girlfriend has just dumped him. He was in desperate need of a close friend, what I was suppose to be.

Busy with baseball and other “more important things,” we were having a hard time getting together for a few more times before we headed off to college. He was persistent and started to get on my nerves a little. Eventually, I promised to go fishing for him the weekend before he left for college. He was ecstatic, I was reluctant, but the promise was made and we were going right? Wrong.

It was the night before and the group I was with had planned an extremely late poker night. Fresh off of my graduation money, I knew I had to be a part of this. Just then, my cell phone rang and it was my “buddy” confirming for a nearly rise tomorrow morning. I straight up lied to him. I told him that I had forgotten and had jury duty that morning. There was only a slight felling of guilt inside of my, but nowhere near as strong as the excitement for the next few hours. It wasn’t until a week later when I ran into his mom at the store, that it all really happened.

She told me her son was extremely down the entire next day. Apparently he wouldn’t shut up about how excited he was and had made a lunch and had everything ready.

That night I couldn’t sleep. What have I done? I couldn’t sacrifice one day of my life for someone who I considered a friend? That is when I made the promise to myself.

I promised to be the best person I know how to be. I promised to complete the goals I have set and move onto the next. I promised to make time for those I loved, but more importantly, I promised to always keep my word when I give it, because a promise without sincerity should never be spoken to a loved one.

These promises made to myself have stayed with me through the years and have no doubt made me a better person, but more importantly helped those around me to become better people as well as I am not the only one to have adopted the idea of promises kept.