A Man among Nature

Kyle - San Diego, California

I believe that nature is sacred, that the earth is beautiful and unique. This world is home to all life. As such, nature and the planet need to be protected and conserved, even at the sacrifice of human growth. The more knowledge I have of the extraordinary life on this planet, the more desire I have to preserve it.

Nature provides a sanctuary for my mind and body to recuperate itself from daily living. This helps me to feel alive and well everyday. As I am stuck in traffic, I look up momentarily to see clouds whisk themselves away in a wind-driven daydream. In awe, I look at the car that cut me off with a calm mood of forgiveness. On my way to the store once, I laughed as I spotted some sparrows on the telephone lines above. They had this look that they had always been there, plotting and watching the feeble minded man below. Later, I saw this group of sparrows in frenzy. They had taken flight and were diving, cawing, and clawing at a hawk that had threatened their babies and nests. I realized then that the sparrows have the same purpose as I do. They just want to live in a wild world.

When I was young, my family visited Yellowstone. Early one morning, my father took my sisters and me out hiking. Through endless fog and a wet soggy forest we marched. On and on we hiked. Finally, we came upon a river that divided the woodlands from a prairie. In this river, standing chest deep, was a beautiful moose slowly wading upstream. My father, eager with his new camera, looked at each of us in turn mouthing to us not to make a noise. With the faint whispers of the flowing water and the muffled grumbles of the moose as it struggled upstream, I realized that this was a blessed place.

As a student of ecology, I find myself astonished by all that nature provides. Earth has given me a place to live. Not only that, it also offers me the resources I need to sustain myself. Nature’s many species have given me breathable air, life-saving medicines and cleaner water. It has given me beauty for inspiration and apples to make apple pie.

However, only recently has society begun to look at their relationship with nature. For so long, it was man versus nature and our industry grew callous to the earth’s needs. With that, came the drills that rape the earth of oil and the factories that spew forth deadly toxins. However, it is really man among nature. So, I try my best to recognize the role I have in this link with nature. I strive to further protect this brilliant world. With this attempt to conserve nature, I am able to find a sanctuary. Nature provides this freely, so long as I am wise enough to search. Truly, Earth is sacred. I believe that is worth the effort to save it.