The Magic of Love

margie - Chula Vista, California
Themes: love

I believe in the power of love. It’s my only weakness and my only strength, my greatest happiness and my truest philosophy. When I am surrounded by love I feel like everything and anything is possible, I don’t know obstacles or boredom or unhappiness. I’ve been lucky to find it in many ways — family, friends, partners, and even strangers. It has an amazing power to alter and define my life.

I’ve always been a dreamer and I’ve always believed that everyone has a soul mate; I simply thought I would never find him. If my friends can describe me a two words it would be “hopeless romantic.” Every time I tried to get into a relationship for some reason it would not work out. I became tired of it and decided not to worry about it anymore and just live as moments came. But it wasn’t until I experienced the most magical feeling I’ve ever had.

Over a year ago, I traveled to Guadalajara, Mexico, with my friends. It was just a trip for fun, but I ended up meeting a guy that I thought I would never see again but who changed my life completely. Someone once told me “Love comes when manipulation stops; when you think more about the other person than about his or her reactions to you. When you dare to reveal yourself fully. When you dare to be vulnerable.” I think I never really believed in this until I met him. Before, I wouldn’t let anyone truly know me because I thought they could use it as a way to manipulate and hurt me. But with Christopher things were different.

He made me feel like no one had before, like I could do things that seemed impossible, he taught me to live the moment, and to be who I really am. Or maybe it was that I finally found someone that made me feel so confident and comfortable with myself that I finally wasn’t afraid to reveal myself anymore or to be vulnerable. With him, I had not worries or fears. I learned so many things from him and from what he made me feel.

After a while, we decided to be only friends since it wasn’t fair for both of us living so far away. Before, I would’ve gotten sad or depressed but not this time. Everything was so amazing that I couldn’t be anything but happy simply because it happened. I became a different person, more positive and open to opportunities. It was Andy Warhol who said “It is only after you stop wanting something, you get it,” and he was absolutely right. Only after I stopped looking for love, I found it. And, it was unexpected, amazing, and unforgettable. Now I enjoy and find beauty in every part of my life, I enjoy the moment, and simply open myself to the world just as I learned from love.