Baby Blues

Natasha - Ocean Springs, Mississippi
Themes: parenthood

My name is Natasha Gatlin; I am twenty years old, a full time student, I have a full time job, and I am a single parent. My little girl Michaela is 10 months old, and she is way more than I expected. Parents, teachers, and books try to explain the difficulty of parenthood but it still was not enough. I believe no one can truly understand the difficulty of parenting until they have accurate, hands on experience.

Many schools have classes in which the students take home a battery operated baby. The baby cries, uses the bathroom, and needs to be fed. The computer inside calculates the length of time the baby cried for and how long the parent took until they discover what the baby needed. Though it may seem accurate the baby does not get sick, does not teeth, does not need to be taught things such as crawling, and walking. Do not get me wrong but the teaching is not as accurate as it should and needs to be. Their method left me under estimating the life as a parent, especially a single parent.

My little girl is even more of a handful now that she can crawl. I was at my sister’s house the other day, and she has a coffee table Michaela seems to always crawl under. The only problem Michaela has is she hits her head going under and coming out. Well while my sister and I were there Michaela went under the coffee table fine, because she remembered to duck her head, but she was not so lucky on the way out. Little things like this are not so bad every now and then, but now Michaela is teething, trying to walk, and starting to eat table food.

Even though I believe no one can truly understand the difficulty of parenting until they have accurate, hands on experience. Parenting does have good qualities, such as the joy of seeing my little girl do something new such as babbling, crawling for the first time, and even seeing her smile with her two brand new teeth. Her smile never fails to bring a smile to my face. Michaela is still the person I live for most.