Everything Happens for a Reason

Danielle - Riverside, California
Themes: purpose

Everything Happens for a Reason

I believe that everything happens for a reason. I believe that there is a “Bigger Picture” and a ‘bigger plan’ set out for each and every one of us. This means that I try to live my life with an open mind, and if things don’t go my way and I don’t understand why, I have to step back, accept and learn from it. Refusing to accept and continuing to question ‘why me?’ only delays the plan set out for me, therefore I have learned to accept the fact that everything happens for a reason and is all part of a plan set out for us.

This is a belief that I have held to be true for most of my life and became most apparent in a recent event. I had applied to graduate schools all over the West coast in hope to get into a least a few of them. As an undergraduate at SDSU I have gotten to know and work alongside many faculty members and it just so happens that one teacher came into the restaurant where I work. He didn’t even know I worked there, and he immediately told me, “Congratulations!” I didn’t know what he was talking about until he finished by saying, “You got into the graduate program here, but don’t tell anyone I told you because your not suppose to know yet!” After containing my excitement until it was officially time, I patiently waited for my acceptance letter. When I finally got a letter from SDSU, it read as follows, “We regret to inform you that you will not be accepted in the 2008 graduate program”. I was shocked and didn’t know whether to believe my teacher or the official letter. I told my teacher what had happened and he assured me that it was an error and that he knew first-hand that I had been admitted. This goes to show that everything in our life happens for a reason. I would have never questioned my acceptance without having prior knowledge of being admitted. My teacher was meant to come into my restaurant and notify me of the news that would change my future.

I believe that everything happens for a reason because of the events in my life that hold true to this belief. This doesn’t mean that I am unable to control the outcome of my life, but to me it means that there is a bigger plan in which everything goes in accordance with. Every event, every person that comes into our lives serves a purpose; a purpose to teach, confirm, or provide us with answers, knowledge, and life lessons.