More than Money

Bryce - Chula Vista, California

I believe that family is the most valuable thing in the world.

At first glance, I look like any other college student; my secret is that I’m also a husband and a father. Most students my age are concerned about the next party they are going to crash or how to impress the ladies; I’m busy thinking about the well being of my family. It might seem like a big burden for someone who’s only 25, but I couldn’t be more grateful for the life that I live.

At the age of 22, I started a family of my own. While most 22 year old males are out chasing their next heartbreak, I was fortunate enough to have already found the woman who I would gladly do and give anything to make happy. At that time, the conception of my daughter was unexpected; I was at a crossroads in my life, lacking any real direction or guidance. I was working a part-time job, barely getting by at school, unaware of what I wanted to do with my life. Once I knew I was going to become a father, a sense of purpose swept over me. Sitting in the hospital waiting for the arrival of my daughter seemed like an eternity, an eternity that I spent meticulously setting goals and aspirations for myself and my newborn child. Since then, I have dedicated every breath to providing for my family.

When I was younger I thought life was about the pursuit of money, status and material things. I’ve come to realize that many of those things begin to lose their luster once they have been attained, unlike the love, support, and enjoyment you continuously receive from family. As I near the commencement of my college years, and begin the start of my career; it is my worst fear to find myself caught up in the whirlwind schedule of 10 to 12 hour work days, having to leaving for work when my family is asleep and coming home when they are getting ready for bed at night. These are the things that scare me.

I was recently involved in a motorcycle accident, where I was left unconscious almost suffocating to death. While I lay lifeless on the asphalt I didn’t make a connection with Jesus, or see the light at the end of the tunnel. I saw my life flash before my eyes, it was the faces of my family members; the one and only thing that matters. Family is something more valuable than money; it’s a belief that is deeper than religion, and a conviction stronger than law.