With A Little Help From My Friends

Elouie - San Diego, California

As the Beatles once sang, “I get by with a little help from my friends.” To me, few words ring truer. I am a firm believer in the power of friendship. I believe that no matter how difficult things in my life may become, my friends will always be there for me, no matter what. I can attest to this after facing the most heart breaking experience in my life.

I learned to believe in the power of friendship after my fiancée, Eliza, left me. We had a wonderful relationship and loved each other dearly. However, things were not meant to be. As a recovering drug addict, every day was a challenge for her to stay clean. Though I did my best to support her in every way possible, it was a losing battle.

Eventually, Eliza succumbed to her addiction, and was placed into a rigorous rehabilitation program. However, this meant she had to move back home to Michigan, to be kept under the watchful eye of her family. Unfortunately, this also meant breaking off our engagement. In a matter of days, the girl that I thought I was meant to be with was gone.

Obviously, her sudden departure left me devastated and heartbroken. Eventually, I fell into a deep depression and began to give up on myself and any belief that I could fall in love again. While my family offered their support, it was my friends who helped the most. My friends reminded me that I still had a long life ahead of me and that I needed to soldier on. I had friends to listen to me and let me grieve. But I also had friends who let me know that enough was enough and that it was time for me to go back into the world again and to start living. Though it took time, I was able to overcome my loss and eventually back into the dating scene.

To me, friendship not only means companionship, but loyalty and comfort as well. I can count on my friends to be there for me when I need them, no matter how ashamed, depressed or embarrassed I may feel. I know that I am never emotionally alone even if I am physically. Friendship is constant in my life and that means a lot in an uncertain and often cruel world. To a stressed out and often overwhelmed college student who is still looking for direction in his life, the constant positive nature of friendship means the world. It means that no matter how bad things may seem, there’s always someone there to take it all in with you, and get you ready to go out there and make the best of things. According to the Beatles, there are few things more powerful than that, and I believe it.