all we need is respect

Joseph - San Diego, California
Themes: respect

I work in the banquet/catering industry at Embassy Suites in downtown San Diego, CA. Throughout my experiences of meeting and serving a diverse amount of guests, I have come to believe in the power of respect. Individual respect to each hotel guest, party host, or employee gives me a personal confidence boost and helps me appreciate my occupation. I appreciate seeing smiles on my clients or co-workers faces when I provide them with the rare manner of caring and trying to make a positive difference in their lives. I didn’t really understand the true meaning of respect until my perception was changed during a verbal conflict with another team member of the hotel.

This conflict had been reoccurring over the previous couple of weeks at work, and it usually consisted of verbal attacks or negative hand signals towards each other. I never really took any of the rude comments too personal though, and would react in the same or worst manner just thinking it was a big joke. The problem with the confrontation was we both speak different languages and could never really resolve the issue. After talking to some other employees that have experienced the same form of disrespect, I decided to tell my managers about it. I was informed that the he was mentally ill.

From that day forward, I swore to myself that I would treat this guy and anyone else with a positive attitude and sense of thought or care. And as it turned out, this new perception of respect allowed me to approach him as I would to a true friend. Now every time I see him I try to ask him how he is doing or how has work been and he responds with a smile instead of a mean vulgar foreign response.

Now, I try to enlighten other people’s lives with a simple form of respect. Each party or event that I work at can become redundant if I don’t give each host, guest, and employee self respect. When a guest compliments me on my service I feel good because it makes me feel like I’m more important and have made a positive change in somebody’s life that day. I believe that everyone should be treated with respect, and that I can understand or appreciate something new and original from them in the process.