I Believe in the Sanctity of Human Life

Alyssa - Iowa City, Iowa
Themes: birth, morality

I believe in the sanctity of human life. All life is precious and should be treated that way.

A single life should not be taken for granted. I learned this when I was 11. My mother was pregnant only she didn’t know it yet. One night in February, she was experiencing extremely painful cramps.

I was upstairs sleeping and could hear her crying from the pain. As an 11-year-old, I didn’t think to take the initiative to go down and see what exactly was wrong. I think it was about an hour later when my dad was shaking me awake and telling me to get dressed because we need to go to the hopital.

So 20 minutes later, we are all in the truck with my mom laying across the back of the truck with my brother and I back there beside her.

We arrive at the emergency room and my brother and I have to go through a series of waiting rooms through the night. My brother and I are essentially clueless as to what’s wrong with our mother, but we pray for her regardless. My grandparents arrived later the next day to watch over my brother and I while my parents stayed at the hospital. About a week or two later, my mom came home all better as far as I could tell. It wasn’t until Rowan was already born that I learned that my mother ordeal at the hospital was the result of an ectopic pregnancy. An ectopic pregnancy is where the fetus when it is traveling to the uterus latches itself onto the falopian tube and begins to grow there. The cramps were the result of the child growing where it didn’t have enough room to and the surgery was the attempt to move him to her uterus. The surgery was unsuccessful, but we are extremely lucky that my mother even survived the whole experience.

Rowan came into this world through a regulation C-section with no complications. My brother, Cullen, and I waited with bated breath as we waited to hear my dad say, “Come look at your new baby brother.” Of course, another boy but I was excited nonetheless. There was nothing that happened that would lead one to believe that anything wrong had happened. Nothing except what had happened 7 months previously.

Maybe it’s just the Republican in me, but I have always been pro-life as long as I can

remember. Going through an experience like that heightened that belief which I did

not think was possible. In my life now, pro-life is probably the one issue that I feel most strongly about. I just don’t understand why someone would want to murder a child that had done nothing to deserve it. Put yourself in their shoes. Would you want to be killed for no reason?