Small Gestures are Better Than a Therapist

Jordynn - Ojai, California

In today’s world a steady, healthy relationship seems like one of the hardest things to maintain. People have work, school, traffic and a multitude of other issues to deal with everyday. Maintaining a healthy and strong love with someone playing the same juggling game can be difficult.

This is why I believe in the little things.

The smallest things mean the most to me and make me see the bigger things for what they really are; so small.

In my world of college chaos, of roommates, midterms and all-nighters, there is one person alone who reminds me of the importance of the seemingly age-old saying. My boyfriend effortlessly shows me how the little things add up to big things in the end.

Small gestures like leaving a two-sentence love note, holding hands before bed, messaging me from across the table as I type this, or simply telling me he appreciates me make me happiest. Things no one else may notice but I find more significant than a ritzy dinner or Tiffany’s jewelry.

Blowing off obstacles like the stress of a test or an argument with a roommate is so easy when I look at what they really mean to me compared to those little things.

These gestures remind me why I fell in love with him in the first place. They refresh the feeling and do wonders for my self-esteem. It makes it easier to brush off a bad mood, get over a small argument or do something for him.

Little things are the best therapy for life.

In a fast paced, modern world there seems to be so many things that are overlooked. Stopping to first notice the small things that make me feel so in love have opened the doors inside of me and have allowed me to see the small things I appreciate in my life and the world at large.

I see the good in nearly any situation, beauty in things I might have passed off and gratitude to for other small things.

Seeing a therapist to improve any of these characteristics could take a fortune and years, but I get it for free and enjoy it much more than any fifty minute long talk with someone I don’t know very well.

The critics who might call me giddy or skeptics that think I can’t take off my rose-colored glasses can say what they will. But it doesn’t matter to me because blowing it off is merely a shoulder-shrug away!