the chance to start over again

Giovana - san diego, California
Themes: change

I believe in chance.

I am from Brazil and back home the education system is different than the education system here. When I finished high school with 16-17 years old I needed to decide what I wanted to study in university. I thought I knew what I wanted and I got into university of fashion design with 17 years old. Unlike here that students can go to college and choose their own classes back home we have to decide our major and go to university 5 days a week for about 7 hours per day. In the middle of my second year in university I started to get frustrated and not very enthusiastic about my course. Thus, I started thinking that if I had a second chance I would change my major and start over from the beginning again.

That was when I had a conversation with my parents that totally supported my doubts. I wanted a chance to do something different that would challenge me and that would keep my attention. Unlike my first two years of university that I was much unmotivated I wanted something that would keep me motivated a lot. I wanted a new chance to start over again until I find it what really makes me happy.

Chance encounters have led me across continents and into unanticipated worlds. I found my motivation by moving to San Diego to learn English from the beginning and then trying to get in college and university here. I am very happy that I had the chance to try something that was totally unknown for me. When I first moved out here 4 years ago I did not speak any English and I did not know any one here, I was completed by myself. My parents gave me the chance to try a new experience that changed my life in many ways. Not only I’m happy with what I’m doing right now but also I learned so many things by living in a different culture, language, habits, and so fourth. I have learned how to respect the differences and how to adapt with that.

It is a great feeling knowing that I was able to have the chance to do what I wanted instead of just accepting what I as doing and not being happy or complete. My belief in chance let me see life as full with possibility. The possibility of trying something new and challenging myself to go for what I really wanted without fear. Of course not everything is easy and beautiful. There were times that I had to strive to keep my focus but believing in chance I know that if is not working for me I can always get myself, start over again, and keep moving forward.