Time Crisis Averted

Ivan - san diego, California
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in procrastination, and I believe in using it as time management. As long as I can remember I put off obligations and chores to have more time to play. Just like anyone else growing up I hated chores, cleaning my room, washing the dishes, and throwing trash. I knew I had to do it, I just didn’t feel like it. Not at the moment. There was always something else to do, something more fun. Anything besides chores. It was never hard for me to think of something else, it just came naturally. Don’t get me wrong, I did everything my parents want me to. I just did it later on. Back then, I didn’t know what procrastination meant. I just knew that there are other things I’d rather be doing.

I’m in the habit of saying “I will in a minute” or ” I’m doing something right now.” “Five more minutes” seems to be one of my favorites. It seems like I tell myself that every morning. Five minutes of sleep turns into 10, then 15, then “your late buddy.” Every morning, I find myself running to the trolley station barely making it. Of course, sometimes I don’t make it and it’s a trolleys fault not mine.

A couple years ago, I started meeting at my cousin’s house every month. And every month, we would go over a chapter in a self-help book. The book was titled “The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens .” In one of our meetings we talked about time management, and how procrastinating important things is a bad idea. Of course, I agreed but in my mind, doing something now or later it still gets done. He just didn’t realize doing homework at 2am leaves the whole day open for fun.

My philosophy is live for today. You only have one life. So enjoy it. Who knows what tomorrow brings . If I take the time to do all of things that need to be done first. I could almost be sure, I will spend more time on those important things than what is essential. I highly doubt my efficiency or effectiveness would improve by prioritizing my tasks. In fact, I work the fastest when there’s little time to be had. When the pressures on, I can rise to the challenge.

Something just clicks in my brain that says, “Times up, get moving.” It’s a sense of urgency that gets me going and I do things better and faster than I normally would. I do the things I want to do, and the things I have to do will follow. Procrastination is time management at its best! Today, I was supposed to have lunch with an old coworker, but she has to write an essay. If she put off her essay for 2 hours to meet with me it would still be done and her lunch would have been free.