I believe in breathing deeply

katelyn - Carlsbad, California

I believe in breathing deeply.

I mean this both figuratively as well as quite literally. In the figurative sense, breathing deeply means that I take a moment to stop and enjoy even the seemingly insignificant moments in my life. I have found that dwelling on the small frustrations in life comes far more naturally to me than remembering the many great events that I experience. Because of this, I strive to take notice of the little things in my daily living that make my life such an amazing adventure. These can be things as small as a great cup or a parking spot close to my office, or as grand as a promotion at work or an “A” in a class. Big or small, to me, breathing deeply is slowing down, if only for a minute, to take notice of the multitude of blessings in my life.

For the past several years I have suffered from many excruciating tension headaches. Although I have tried every medication known to man, nothing seemed to truly relieve my pain. After exhausting what I thought were all my options, a friend of mine introduced me to yoga, and I truly believe it saved my life in many ways. Yoga is not only known for being a great form of exercise, but also for its holistic approach to both mental and physical health. One of the most important parts of yoga is breathing slowly and deeply. I began to utilize this breathing technique whenever I felt a headache coming on. I soon realized that my tension was being released. These exercises forced me take a moment to slow down, breathe deeply, and as a result, reduce the stress in my life.

For me breathing deeply, in both the literal and figurative senses, has improved my overall wellbeing and quality of life. Although it is sometimes challenging to stay focused on what is truly important to me, remembering to breathe deeply every day has allowed me to be more aware and appreciative of the little things that make up the blessed life I am fortunate to live.