Brotherhood in the Fall

Austin - Iowa City, Iowa

Have you ever thought you would do anything for the people all around you? Well I have felt that special kind of bond, and I believe that a few months in the fall create a brotherhood for life. I am of course talking about football. This is not taking anything from other sports, but football to me is just different. It is just something about it; something about heading in to combat with the other team makes you feel connected with everyone on your team. It is more than just a sport, it is war. Before this past season I had heard stuff similar to this, but never really realized what it truly mean to love every single person on your team like they were your brother.

For me this brotherhood started in August on the first day of two a days. We were in the middle of conditioning which at 7:30 in the morning seemed like hell. But instead of looking down at the dew still on the grass we were running on I looked to my left, and then to my right and I realized that it was not for me that I was doing this but for my brothers. There is comfort in pain when you know that you are doing it for the team. Your brother next to you is going through the same thing, and you want to get through it together.

Fast forward to November, the state championship game. The clock is at zero, and we lose seven to six. Once again I catch myself staring down at the ground, because of pain. The pain I am feeling is not a physical one, but it is far worse than any pain I have ever felt. This time I am afraid to look up and see the same pain in every single one of my brothers on the field. I looked at them, and started bawling. I realized I loved these guys. I knew each one of us had bleed for each other and that nothing could take our love for each other away from us. We had created true friendships for life. Only true friendship could withstand such pain as this. Alone this pain would have been impossible to deal with, but to know my brothers were crying with me brought comfort.

This brought me to another realization. True friendship is the most important thing in life. Sometimes our own pain seems unbearable, but if you have friends who are there to help you carry that pain, it makes life easier. This is why I believe that a person with true friends is a truly happy person.