Borderline Insanity

Mindy - Greensboro, North Carolina
Themes: pleasure, work

My life seems to be made up of school, homework, work and overall stress. I work at Bojangles’ Famous Chicken and Biscuits and things don’t always go smoothly. Every day that I walk into our restaurant I can expect un-stocked shelves, empty tea urns, large orders waiting to be filled, an insufficient amount of food product for those orders and less than satisfied customers; all of which become my responsibility.

There was one instance in particular where a lady had a problem with her order. I was just about to fix the problem when she decided that she wanted her money back and that she didn’t like my attitude. As I tried to apologize, she called me a bitch and demanded my manager. Unsurprisingly, she didn’t like the way my manager handled the situation, so she went to our district manager. Apparently, she didn’t like his methods either and went to the person above him. Having to deal with people like this, that no one can please, I want to quit the fast-food industry forever.

However, when I am in the middle of a killer rush, I realize what keeps me going; my regulars. Miss Jessie is perhaps my favorite. She always orders a steak and egg biscuit, a sweet potato pie and a senior Pepsi. No matter the situation she tells us all how much she appreciates what we do for her and how much she loves us. Seeing each of my regulars is like seeing the beach for the first time every year. It’s a blissful vacation, despite the short duration of each visit.

These mini-vacations are more beneficial than even I realize. A psychologist named Lazarus concluded from several studies that the little hassles of the day can build up to be much worse than major life events such as divorce or a death in the family. In accordance with Lazarus’ study, the smallest things that go wrong at Bojangles’ are the worst; knocking over the cream, running out of a specific condiment, or someone bumping into me by accident.

These small things happen all too often, so when the regulars roll through, it is then that I realize how much I believe in vacation. Vacation is a time away from the tiny hassles at Bojangles’. Vacation is a time away from society and the hundreds of things that are going wrong; murders, arson, burglary, and more. Vacation is a time away from school, finals, GPAs and grades. Vacation is a time away from my parents arguing about anything and everything they can think of. Vacation is a time to breathe and escape all of these things that continuously build up. Obviously, the problems won’t vanish, but when I go back to them, it’s easier to tackle them; until I need another vacation.