I believe in the Beauty of My Hair

Sarah - Coralville, Iowa

I Believe

I believe in the beauty of my hair. I grew up always hating my hair, always having to deal with it. It was something that was always going to be there, and I could never get rid of. It took me a half hour just to blow dry it; it was just too thick. I never liked doing my hair because it took forever, and it took a lot of work. My hair had more volume than all the other girls. This was bad, I thought, but now who wouldn’t want volume?

“I bet any girl would die for your hair, they usually just have a few.” I grew up with my mother telling me this all the time, constantly reminding me I had great hair. I never believed her until now. Although I don’t style my hair very often, I believe my hair looks beautiful. It looks beautiful up, down, frizzy, curly, or straight. No matter how much I complain about it, I will always love my hair. While some girls can only do a couple of styles with their hair, I can do a couple hundred. No other girl has thick, coarse hair like me and I am proud I have the power to stand out like that.

I used to be self-conscious of my hair because it is so big and it doesn’t straighten easily; it usually takes an hour to accomplish. But when my hair’s straight, it moves with such beauty that it tells a story. It makes me want to show it off to the world. My mother recently asked me if I wanted to get a treatment for my hair that would permanently straighten it. I would never have to spend all that time struggling with my hair. But I refused because I love my hair, and I would never change anything about it. My hair is what makes me me. There’s a reason God gave me such great hair. Through this experience I’ve learned to love what God has given me and to not want to change it. God gave me beautiful hair and that is what I believe.