Tomorrow is never promised

Kyle - San Diego, California

Looking at the surf, I decided I’m too tired and it will be better tomorrow. So I got in my car and left the beach behind.

Little did I know I wasn’t going to be surfing for the next five months.

The next day I badly broke my leg in a soccer scrimmage. Lying on the soccer field all I could think about was surfing. Not the pain in my leg but the time I was going to be away from the waves.

For me it was one of those instances where you don’t appreciate something until it gone. This I Believe is what I learned that day, to appreciate what’s directly in front of me and to not take things for granted.

I know this seems like a minor set back, but when you love something it’s hard to leave it alone. This experience made me grateful for the finer things in life that make me happy. Like family, friends, health and even sex. It reminded me that I shouldn’t take these things for granted. It’s a dangerous world and at any time something or someone dear to us could be taken away.

Sometimes it takes a set back to put things into perspective. For me a broken leg reminded me of those things in life that really matter.

On that dreaded day I took surfing for granted, I assumed it was going to be there for me the next day. Although surfing was only taken away from me for a few months it got me thinking about a lot of things.

It got me thinking about how it would feel to lose a family member or close friend.

It got me thinking about the little things in life that make me happy, like sunshine, bike rides, sunsets, picnics, even rainy days.

I now strive to take none of these things for granted. Regardless of what the day may bring I do my best to take full advantage of the situation. Because I now realize that nothing is promised to me and I live each day with no regrets.