The Music of My Heart

Hailey - San Diego, California

The Music of My Heart

I believe in the dynamism of music’s companionship.

Ever since I was a little girl, music has played an important role in my life. It began as a means of association with those that I loved and progressed to a form of expression in later years. I enjoyed hearing the songs that my mother sang to me before I went to bed each night. This joy carried on as I matured. I began to participate in sports where music was a key player. I was a figure skater whose every movement depended on the externalizing of my feelings in relation to the music. This remained true as I entered the realm of dance. Each song and its lyrics became intertwined in the message I was conveying. It was not until I reached my early adult stage, however, that I came to truly appreciate the music of life.

I have continued to figure skate and dance expressing my emotions through music, but this is not the only aspect of life where I found music necessary to bear my true soul. With life, I have learned, come hardships that are often out of my control. It is at these times that I lean on my music for comfort.

An example of these hardships came when I was in 8th grade, and I lost my grandmother. It was at this same time that the movie “Pearl Harbor” with the hit song, “There You’ll Be” had circulated theaters around the U.S. It was this same song that touched me, along with my mother, and held us together in this time of grieving.

A second example came as one of the many curve balls of life received through my high school years. My first love came, and stayed for two years until the end of my first year of college. Then, he left. I was alone ,without my best friend for the first time in over two years. I was devastated to say the least, but again turned to music as a form of comfort. I found several songs that were played on repeat for many weeks to follow; one of which, was “Stupid Boy” by Keith Urban. This song allowed me to vent my frustration and anger as well as sadness and despair without fear of having to put my own thoughts into words

As life continues, I know these hardships are only small ripples in an ever roaring sea of turmoil, but I know that with my music beside me I will be able to get through whatever comes my way.