Don’t Judge a Book By its Cover

Priscilla - Mcewen, Tennessee

I believe that most kids have not heard of the metaphor don’t judge a book by its cover. People are a lot like books; our outer appearances can be deceiving. Sometimes we are hard to read and should be looked over carefully before we decide to become friends. The books we need to read as kids: non-fiction (our parents); comedy (our family) and creative books (our teachers).

Parents are the non-fiction books that children find boring and not much of a challenge. They tended to throw it to the side or just ignore what the book said. My parents also tried to get me to read the non-fiction books. I told them that the dull ones weren’t for me. I always ended up with a book or person I couldn’t even read or much less understand. Now I can honestly say I understand how my parents felt.

Our families are the comedy books. My bothers would just crack me up when I was down. My sister would always bring my mood up when I was upset about some boy. My children also read the comedy of family laughter. They both keep each other happy, and laughing.

Creative books are our school teachers. These books or people try to show our children the way of the world and to educate them so that they can achieve anything. Most of our children take advantage of these books and go on to become our future.

Some times peer pressure can make a child choose the wrong people (books) to be around or talk too. Those are the books that don’t ever need to be read. It is our job as parents to guide our children in their lives as the Liberians guides the books in the library, so the right people can find the right books. I believe that children are books that every parent needs to read. They can be a challenging adventure with deep concepts; colorful drama mixed with dry humor and can have harsh reality in them.