Hard Work Can Take You Anywhere

Yalda - San Diego, California
Themes: work

I believe in a strong work ethic. I think that if you work hard anything is possible. I also feel that when you are up against a wall and the pressure is on, that is when you excel and your hard work shines. This strong work ethic has been instilled in me ever since I was a young girl. My parents showed me that no matter what I did or where I was I always had to push myself as much as I could in order to accomplish my goals in life. My set parents a great example for me; they would work more than 40 hours a week in order to provide for our family.

My personal experiences of a hard work ethic started when I chose a challenging major, chemistry. I am not a smart person by nature, I have to work hard, put countless hours into studying, and understanding that sometimes I have to give up my social life. I was given the opportunity to work in a professor’s laboratory to conduct research when I was a junior in college. It was a difficult job, having to work 65 hours a week while being a full time student. Although, it was difficult to put in so many hours while not being paid, I knew that my hard work would pay off in the end. The experience I gained as an undergraduate student was priceless, and I believe it prepared me to work well under pressure. After working in the laboratory for one year, I had valuable hands on chemistry research experience and was able to have my research published. This experience gave me a lot of tools that I could take out in the real world and be able to succeed at chemistry.

I am currently conducting research at a local biotech company, where I am very happy and absolutely love what I do. I really feel that I would not be where I am if it was not for hard work and the passion I have for research. I am graduating in 2 months and hopefully I have prepared myself so that I will be able to find a job that I love. I only hope that I can contribute something to the scientific community so that I can help people who suffer from illnesses. Through my experiences both good and bad I have learned that with hard work and dedication I can accomplish anything.