I believe in love after divorce

lakisha - camden, Tennessee
Themes: change, family, love

I Believe in Love after a Divorce

After ten long years of screaming, yelling, fighting, and utter sadness, I called it quits. I could not stay any longer, not even for my children. I had to leave for them. Our relationship was no longer healthy. I was so afraid, who would help me with the children? Would I be alone for the rest of my life? After all who wants someone with two children? And most important my daughters, how are they going to handle this? Will they be upset with me because I left or will they be relieved from all the fighting? Time will determine the outcome, but I just had to leave. Everything was packed and ready to go. My father and brother moved all my belongings onto the truck. This chapter in my life is over, onto to our new beginning.

Several days went by and nothing was said. My daughters seemed content almost like nothing had happened. All the while I was dealing with so much going on in my mind. I cannot understand their feelings. My parents are still together. How I can I help them through all their emotions and feelings that they are going through, when I have never been in a situation like this before?

Three months later things were great! My oldest daughter was doing better in school. My youngest daughter’s health was improving. For me well I felt relieved it was finally done. After several attempts to leave before, I finally had the will power to stand up for my children and myself to walk away. With no regard to his feelings of sorrow, I was gone!

I often worried about a father figure in their life. How would they adjust to someone else? I thought of my own father and how he was with his own children. My dad would be a great father figure for my daughters. Once I stopped worrying things fell right into place. I met someone who swept me off of my feet. He was amazing! He loved me for who I was, not what I could do for him. He showed me how to live life to the fullest. I was carefree. I was happy for the first time in several years. I wondered about my daughters. How would they feel about him? Would they see how wonderful he is? How does his family feel about our relationship? What are they going to think of me and my two children?

As usual I worried for nothing; my girls love him as if he fathered them. He spends more time with them than their natural father did. He takes them fishing, helps with homework, taught them how to ride their bikes, and most important he loves them. As for his family they are awesome! I received a blessing the night I met him. Not only did I get an amazing husband, but I also got a loving family. My children have never been happier. They love our new life. I was really surprised at how well things turned out for us. I am glad I made the decision to leave.