Mr. Optimism

Liam - San Diego, California
Themes: hope

I believe in optimism. I am at a time in my life when I have to be optimistic. Graduating with a degree in Business Management in just a few weeks and actively searching for a good job has forced me to be optimistic. In a time when the economy is heading toward recession, and jobs for recent college graduates are harder to get than ever, I have to have the right attitude at this important point in my life.

Optimism isn’t something I was born with. It comes from my strong family upbringing and years of being around my mother (probably, the most optimistic person I have ever known). I could talk all day about how my mother has taught me to be optimistic, but this is really supposed to be about my optimism.

The main questions I get in relation to my optimism are usually one like this: Why am I so optimistic? What do I have to gain? How can you act like that about everything? Well, the answers to those questions are quite easy. I like being happy. I like looking forward to things in life. Even if the situation seems like a terrible one, I can always find a way to be happy. If I were to believe that everything was going to fail, I wouldn’t be happy.

However, the most important characteristic about my particular type of optimism is that it is realistic. I don’t buy a lottery ticket and think that I will win. I don’t ask out a super model and think I will get a date. I pick my places to be optimistic. I always believe I did well on an exam or a paper after I have turned it in, because I believe in myself. I always believe that when the team I am rooting for is losing, they can come back and win. That just seems natural to me for some reason.

It is way to easy to be pessimistic when it comes to looking at what goes on in life. Anyone can point out the flaws about why something won’t work. Personally, I like the challenge of trying to find the positive things in life. I would rather be proven wrong when something goes wrong, than proven wrong when something goes right.

After graduation, I know that I will find the right job for me. This may a rough transition point in my life, but I know I will pull through and make the best of it. I must be optimistic.