Help Our Troubles Fly Away

John - Cardiff, California
Themes: family, hope, setbacks

I have always been a strong believer that a positive attitude could get me through any situation. I acquired this belief that attitude could get me through any situation when I was 10 years old.

I was 10 years old and my father had not been home in over a week. Everyday felt like an eternity. At school I would hope to come home and see my father there, but it never happened. It was the last week before Thanksgiving break and my entire family, from my father’s side, were flying to San Francisco for Thanksgiving. I figured that is when I would finally see my father again considering he was the one who planned the trip for our family. It was the day of our flight, and to this day I could still remember waking up to my mother’s alarm clock and the song “San Francisco” by the Mamas and Papas was playing on the radio. I thought it was a sign that everything was going to be alright.

My father never made it to the airport that day. The entire trip I tried to keep a positive attitude on the situation. It was the last day of our trip and we were flying back home. When my family and I returned home we were not greeted by our father. Instead we were greeted to an empty house with not furniture, television, couch, or bed. My father had moved everything out of our house to begin his new life with his mistress. I was so heartbroken that this entire time I was worrying about my father; he was off with another lady planning his escape from my family.

My mother and father ended up getting a divorce and I would not see my father for several years. I was depressed, but I remembered my mother would always tell me “to try and find the best out of any situation”. Easier said than done. However, I began to adapt a positive attitude on the situation and stopped dwelling on the negatives. Yeah it is hard to accept that your father does not want to be apart of your life, but I soon realized there were so many other good hearted people who were more than willing to take his place. With the love from my family and my new “extended” family I was able to turn lemons into lemonade.