Raised by Good Intent

Katherine - San Diego, California
Themes: family, gratitude

I used to always say, “I will never be like my parents.” Whether I would like to admit it or not, I have turned out to be just like my father and mother, something I never thought could actually happen. I believe that most parents, when raising their children from childhood to adulthood, are guided by good intent. They only want what is best for their children.

When I was in high school, I would frequently get so upset that my parents gave me a curfew of midnight and no later, while my other friends could come home at whatever time they pleased. I was always so envious of those friends. I completely resented my parents for ruining my social life. I was constantly fed up with listening to their outrageous rules and could not wait to get out. As it came closer to the time for me to move out for college, my parents started to realize that they were going to have to let go and hope that what they taught me, stuck with me. It was not until I was completely on my own that I realized how grateful I was to have such caring and strict parents. It was then when it hit me that my parents really did care and just wanted the best for me. My relationship with my parents has become very strong ever since I left home.

My parents have instilled so many irreplaceable morals and values in my life. I have become a better person because of them and if it was not for them, I would not be the responsible and caring person I am today. I owe the way I budget my money and care for my car to my father. He taught me that I have to pay my bills on time to maintain good credit. He also showed me how to check the oil in my car when it is running low, so I know what to do in a rough situation. I owe knowing how to offer help as a kind gesture when invited to a party to my mother. She always told me, “If a person is kind enough to offer you their home and feed you their food, then you should never hesitate to offer your help to them.”

As I get older and am confronted by life experiences, I now know why my mother and father did what they did. Their actions now have a purpose in my mind. No one can take away the lessons they have taught me. Their values will forever be engraved in my mind and will be passed on to my children. My hope is that one day I will turn out to be a loving, caring parent for my children, just as my parents were to me.