Conscious Alternative

Jason - Encinitas, California

I believe that it is essential to do my best to strive to make wise and responsible decisions throughout my life. All through life, my conscious and unconscious choices will dictate the pathway of my life’s journey. Although many of the choices I have made in the past were believed at the time to be insignificant, the majority of those choices effected another unforeseen aspect of my life, and often times the lives of those around me. By addressing choices in my life consciously and responsibly I will reduce the probability of negative ingredients that will eventually make up the composition of my life.

Similar to culinary arts, each ingredient in my life plays a substantial role in creating a dish others will hope to experience. Each decision I make has the ability to either improve or spoil the finished product, my life. The ability to distinguish the ingredients that will improve the quality of my life from the ones that will create stress and turmoil has become an essential component of my daily life. Decisions like drinking and driving or choosing not to participate in illegal schemes are obviously immoral, however choosing to remain calm when abruptly cut off while driving, or when something I greatly anticipate is canceled last minute, are often the most difficult times to make ethical decisions.

Choices I make today will influence aspects of my life as well as the lives of those around me. It is critical that I take responsibility for my actions as I am a part of a whole that is the fabric of society. Accountability of my actions proves beneficial for me the individual, as well as others, in that possible negative outcomes will be less likely because their potential would have been foreseen and therefore prevented.

A crucial development of my mind is the ability to make decisions based upon circumstance. It is the level of commitment to analyzing a particular circumstance which dictates whether the decision is responsible and wise, or just foolish. As a child, I typically made decisions based on my wants and desires. From childhood through adulthood, my interpretation of what is desired and what is needed has been greatly altered. My ability to determine my own needs is directly influenced by my ethics and moral, and my decisions to daily choices of any scale are now a derivative of my belief of what is right for me and those around me.