The Power of Music

Brandon - Maynardville, Tennessee

The Power of Music

I believe in the power of music. Of all of humanities innovations over the ages I believe music to be the singular most spectacular of them all. Music is more than idea and thought translated into rhythm and lyric, it’s not that simple. Music is as complicated as we are because, music is in fact alive. It is an entity that lives within each of us ever growing, ever shaping itself through the disposition of its host. Music is all around us. It transcends gender, race, religion and even species. From the robins and crickets that nest outside our doors to the whales bellowing in the deep oceans, music is inherent and evolves within every conscious being. Music has touched the lives of more people throughout history than all the religions of the world combined. How many of us have been to a religious sermon without joining and raising our voices in praise? Who here has gone through a deeply important part of their life positive or saddening without being touched at some point of that time by your favorite song or some random tune that came across the radio that seemed to identify with what you were going through.

Growing up I never had many friends and at times none. I was, how I like to say, socially retarded. Because of this social inadequacy I was ridiculed mercilessly, abused, and left out of most group activities at school. The constant and compounded isolation over the years soon gave way to depression, which led to the development of an eating disorder and eventually childhood obesity. By the age of 15 I weighed 245 pounds. My social skills had improved some but my problems with being overweight drastically over shadowed any progress I may have made. Music has been a part of my life for as far back as I can remember, but it wasn’t until I both mentally and physically reached rock bottom did I discover its true nature. The nature of music is hope. It is a deafening and constant call to perseverance and the celebration of life and personally to me, that my life was something to cherish, because it was mine, and nobody else has the ability to dictate how it will unfold. Thanks to the power of music, by the time I reached 18 I had reduced my weight down to 160 pounds, my social skills had drastically improved and I had for the first time a clear sight of the direction my life should take. For me none of these revelations would have been possible without the indomitable spirit of music beside me every step of the way. It was the power of Beethovin, the melody of the Eagles, and the in your face structured chaos of Slipknot, among countless others that certainly saved my life. Without a doubt, this I believe.