I Believe in Jumping in With Both Feet

Alexandra - New Canaan, Connecticut
Themes: courage

I believe in jumping in with both feet. Since 1993, I have been the type of girl who would rather jump in deep puddles than walk around them, the one who would rather play tackle football than get her hair brushed by her mother. So much of my childhood was spent outside playing with the boys. I was not exactly cage fighting material, but I learned to play rough and tough just like the big kids.

I am an outdoorsman. I have always been interested in nature, which I owe to going to the New Canaan Nature Center for pre-school. I was fascinated with animals and everything that surrounded me, and now more than ever I appreciate that. On our long nature walks, I looked more like a piece of the earth than one of the members of my class. My best friend and I were the two who came back with rocks and sticks in our hands and mud all over our shoes, clothes and possibly even our hair. With today’s talk about global warming and environmental concerns, it feels like I spent a good number of years close to the earth which is why I am passionate about keeping both the surf and turf as clean and natural as possible. Since pre-school, I have kept up with my outdoorsy self by horseback riding. Any true rider knows that the high intensity sport is more than just sitting in a saddle. You spend long hours outside riding or taking care of your horses. It is a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

I am a dare-devil. I have never been the type of girl who sits around and is scared of everything. I am the kind of person who pushes herself to the edge, just for the thrill of trying something new. My dad and I are known to be the thrillers, or risk-takers in my family. We are very close and we would never back down from a challenge or, in particular, a scary roller coaster. At amusement parks is where I feel like I bond the closest with my dad. Although, we are on high speed scary roller coasters screaming our heads off, that is the place where we share some of our greatest moments.

I am a fighter. At age 2, I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. I have always had to cope with more struggles than an average child would at my age. I learned though, that I should never let it hold me back. I want to be able to live life to its fullest and live without any regrets. I want to be able to do something extraordinary in life, not just to prove that people with illnesses or disabilities can do anything, but because that is just who I am. I want to step outside the lines, I want to write my own rules. I want to be able to jump in with both feet, this I believe.