Powerful Positivity

Kristine - North Andover, Massachusetts

Living in a world where many people are only willing to see the negative side of things gets to be depressing, but to me it’s only strengthened my belief in the power of positive thinking. Until recently I chose to be negative because I believed it to be the easy way out, but then I experimented with positive thinking. If you go into life thinking it’s going to be a disaster, then it probably will. Seeing the lighter side of everything is guaranteed to make your day better.

A couple weeks ago I was supposed to stay with a friend of a friend at Saint Anselm College for a weekend to get to see the school. When I was invited initially I was like “uh, hello this is awkward!” and I was prepared for millions of uncomfortable silences. I had even prepared a list of excuses so that I could leave before the day was up.

When I was on my way to the school I got to thinking about how my mom always said I was being far too negative and decided it was time to change. I was going to start being positive. I got excited to visit a new school and possibly make new friends. I also realized that the guy I was visiting probably felt nervous too and we’d have that in common. I was ready for a whole new experience and I didn’t want to regret chickening out. I arrived at the decision that I was going to have fun and when I finally arrived I was pumped for the day.

Long story short, that was probably my greatest college experience so far and I even bonded with the guy about how nervous we had both been. He even told me how relieved he was when I showed up talkative and ready to have fun. We’re best friends now and I owe it all to the power of positive thinking.

Positivity has the power to completely transform anyone’s day, no matter what they are feeling down about. If you’ve failed a test and wan to give up, thinking positively will give you motivation to study harder next time. Same goes for listening to people being negative or trying something new. There’s always something to be learned from it and being positive will never make anything worse. My mother once told me about a seminar she went to where the speaker was a multi-millionaire CFO. He said that the biggest tip he could give anyone for success was always thinking positively and not letting negative feelings bring you down. I believe that these are wonderful words to live by. I believe in the power of positive thinking.