Shaveing Correctly

Blaine - Mechanicsburg, Ohio
Themes: family, setbacks

When I was a young boy, my parents didn’t get along to well at all. Around the seventh grade they decided to separate, which eventually ended in a divorce. My mom and my dad didn’t talk to each other for some years after that, and since my mom had custody of me I didn’t see much of my dad. Actually I didn’t see him for probably five years it seemed like at one point in time. Without my dad being around I needed a father figure in my life, I looked to my high school wrestling coach. It all really started in seventh grade; I wasn’t dealing with the divorce to well. My grades started to slip extremely bad, and I ended up being ineligible for wrestling season which was my sport. The next nine weeks he took me under his wing tutoring me, and helping me with my homework when I needed it. More than help me with my homework he helped me with my life in general at the time. Without his help I don’t think I would have turned into the man I am today. Around the end of my junior year in high school my dad started showing up again, but for some reason I didn’t go with him. Half of me thinks it was my mom telling not to, or me just not wanting to see him altogether.

All of this has lead to my belief through my own experience. I believe that for a young boy growing up it is most crucial to have a father figure around. For most of my teenage years I felt lost, where something as simple as shaving correctly was not taught to me among many other things. Even more than feeling lost I felt embarrassed about it. At all of my sporting events people would ask me where my dad was. And the fact was he wasn’t hurt or dead he simply didn’t care, or I didn’t care to want him there. Recently I have seen the importance of my father in my life, and have started to become closer to him once again.