Finding Charlie

Allison - Danville, California

That day at work was really hard. Four parties combined with an hour-long waiting list and a cranky supervisor made the day a stressful blur. I was drenched with sweat, my hair was no longer straight, but rather frizzy and wet. I could feel my feet dragging with every step and everywhere I turned there were confused and impatient customers. My make-up was running beneath my eyes and I must have smelled worse than I looked. After a full day of work, the exhaustion was finally catching up with me. But Charlie made it better. “Hey beautiful, how you holdin’ up?” made me forget about the tiredness and feel a little bit stronger.

Of every single life lesson I have learned this I believe: people never change. Everyone needs to establish their real friends early on in life. They need to discover who they can and cannot trust through life experiences. People can enter and leave your life quickly and slowly, therefore distinguishing between a real friend and one who is absolutely horrible can be life altering.

I have established that I have only one really good friend at this point in my life. We’ll call him Charlie. Charlie and I have been tight amigos from day one. He is the only person in the world who I can trust with every little thing. I don’t have to worry about him disappointing me because his whole entire life goal is to make others happy. Charlie is never jealous, but is always kind and caring. I love him for who he is and vice versa. Charlie has always been this way and will never change his ways.

On the flip side, I have found that I have one really horrible friend at this point in my life. We’ll call her Taylor. If you’ve ever had someone who is critical of your every move, then you should for sure know what I am talking about. She is one of those people who, for no reason, is so unhappy with her own life, that she feels the need to dump all over mine and attempt to make me equally miserable. She is two-faced, acting like one person in front of you, but secretly trash talking you when you’re turned the other way. Taylor has always been this way and will never change her ways.

If someone disappoints you, they will always disappoint you. If someone makes you happy, they will always make you happy. This way of viewing life helps you understand exactly who your real friends are and aren’t. I have struggled with the identity of specific friends for my entire life. I believe that these obstacles have made me a stronger person. I look at it in this way: Charlie will forever and ever be in my heart and put a smile on my face, but Taylor will only ever be a faint memory in the back of my mind that will turn my smile to a frown.