Strive To Be Chivalrous

Brant - Knoxville, Tennessee
Themes: respect

Chivalry is most regrettably a concept that many are unfamiliar with. This concept consists of a code of conduct including a combination of qualities expected of a gentleman, especially courage, honor, loyalty, and consideration for others, especially women. It is a common belief that the art of chivalry is dead. This is not true. Yes, it is rare and hard to find, but I myself and a few others in the world strive to keep it alive. Chivalrous behavior means being courteous and considerate, especially shown by a man towards a woman. This is not to say that women are inferior because that is certainly false. They deserve the respect that chivalry pays them in fact, because of their superiorities rather than inferiorities. I am of course indicating the female ability to create life and the necessary balance they contribute in our society. I am always to be polite and to try not to use vulgarities, especially in the presence of a woman. I open doors for others and allow them the chance to pass before me. In the case of the weak, if someone is being picked on or ridiculed, it is my duty to defend that person rather than join in on the mockery. It is a sad truth that not everyone believes in these qualities.

One anecdote proving the need for chivalry in our society is provided by my girlfriend. One night at her college labor position she overheard a conversation between a young man and woman, whom she works with. The young man told the young woman to do something and she responded by saying, “Don’t tell me what to do.” The young man then crudely replied with, “I’ll tell you whatever I want, because I’m a man and you’re a woman.” My girlfriend then started to defend the young women and the young man simply looked at her and laughed in her face. This behavior is unacceptable, but somehow still tolerated in our society today. I witnessed similar lack of chivalry at my own workplace, and then made it clear that the behavior was rude and uncalled for. No apology was given, only a blank face with an open mouth. Being chivalrous is very similar to the golden rule: treat others the way you would want to be treated. This behavior and code of honor merely shows respect that we should all give each other. We should all strive to be chivalrous to improve our community and society today.